Using Food For Health
10 Great Strategies
Using food for health deserves a much higher place in our priorities.
Instead, huge pharmaceutical advertising campaigns directly targeting consumers create the mindset that doctors and prescriptions are the pathway to health.
The result is that people, not knowing any other option, self-prescribe these advertised medications to their doctors, rather than look for natural alternatives. Isn't that clever?
These commercials spend 5 seconds describing a health problem, 15 seconds describing how their medicine will fix it, and then 10 seconds describing all the possible side effects that include things like blindness, paralysis, and worse. I've learned to see the humor in them - they remind me of a Saturday Night Live skit. It's a shame they are so effective at spreading the "heal through prescription" gospel.
Worse, doctors will sometimes tell you unless you take certain medications (with all of its known and unknown side effects), you are taking a risk What??!! are you kidding me?
I do not mean to beat on doctors personally, or to say that all medications are bad. Doctors should be an important part of our health plan. Besides if you break a bone, or are in an accident, you really want these folks on your side. But be aware that most conventional doctors are trapped in an unbalanced "heal by prescription" system, driven by big profit hungry pharmaceutical companies.
Up-wise Our Thinking!
There is a better way. It begins with adopting the mindset that using food for health gives us a way to take control of our own wellness.
We tend to think of food for socializing, food for satisfying hunger, food for snacks, or food to accompany what we're drinking - but we think less about food for wellness.
There is a growing "Food As Medicine" movement led by individuals like Dr. Mark Hyman, who understand how eating habits and our food system affect our health.
The science and art of using food for health just may be the most powerful wellness knowledge that we can get, and its easier to do than you might think. All it takes is an openness to alternatives to healing with drugs, a willingness to educate ourselves, and a commitment to do things a bit differently.
The Natural Health Inspector Project's research into this has led us to some fundamental food for health principles for your personal natural health plan.
10 Principles For Using Food For Health
- Health does not come from the pharmacy True enough, we may get some useful and needed stuff from there for specific ailments. Most drugs do not build our immune system or work holistically for our overall well being. Health comes from personal choices to follow strategies like the
4 Natural Health Practices
- Convenience Foods are not "lifesavers" Packaged foods and fast foods should be eliminated or reduced. Most packaged foods contain preservatives and chemicals that are not healthy for us. Fast food meats come from "industrial agriculture", and are not prepared in a healthy way. Let's see.......which is more convenient?
preparing healthier meals?
or spending more time and money with doctors?.....
- Move in the direction of a plant based diet What is important is to make most of your diet based on fruits, vegetables, and beans. Natural Health principles do not require you to be a vegetarian, or vegan. But if you do eat meat, make it fish, or grass fed, free range meat.
- Kick the tasty poison habit - refined carbohydrates Refined sugar and flour have been processed so that all nutrients have been removed. When eaten, they quickly spike blood sugar levels, which the body then tries to control through insulin secretions. Over time, this
insulin cycle causes obesity, diabetes, tooth decay, and a host of other problems.
- Eliminate soft drinks from your drink list Things do not go better with soft drinks. Soft drinks with sugar cause acidic conditions in the body that leaches calcium and other minerals from our blood and bones. A 2007 Boston University study showed that both sugar and diet soft drinks were related to metabolic syndrome. Even more recently, diet soft drinks have been shown to have a high correlation to the risk of stroke. Drink more water.
- Pick Your supplements wisely Especially supplements that the body cannot make easily or cannot make at all. Essential Fatty Acids, Vitamin D (1/3 of the US population is deficient), minerals, and antioxidants are the main ones to pay attention to. Multivitamins, and
Cod Liver Oil, Omega 3's
are all useful.
- Get triple the benefits with fiber Dietary fiber is the brush for our intestines that cleans it an keeps good colon muscle tone. In addition high fiber foods seem to delay and smooth out glucose spikes from simple carbohydrates, and there is a positive relationship between high fiber foods and lower
- Use Coconut oil Coconut oil has gotten a bad rap as a food for health because the war against saturated fats targeted all saturated fats, animal or otherwise, and coconut
oil is a saturated fat - but with some very desirable properties. Coconut oil has an extremely high concentration of Lauric Acid, a medium chain fatty acid that the body converts to Monolaurin. Monolaurin strengthens the immune system and has antifungal, and anti viral properties. it can be used as flavoring, for cooking, and even to improve skin and hair.
- Investigate natural herbs for healing There are known substitutes for almost any synthetic drugs, treating any ailment that have been used for centuries. They include treatments for pain, bacterial issues, inflammation, and nutrient deficiencies. Herbs have the advantage of being gentle, and the disadvantage of imprecise dosage and proofs. Nonetheless, every culture, including the US, has a tradition of healing herbs. Some personal study here can pay dividends
- Consider Using Hyperimmune Milk Hyperimmune milk comes from cows in humane, sanitary conditions that have specific antibodies that strengthen the immune system, and combat diseases such as arthritis, cardiovascular disease, and and cancer. It is a unique, all natural powdered milk food for health with tons of research on its effectiveness.
I personally use these strategies. You may find that the published evidence on these subjects is enough to try them for yourself. As usual, if you are unsure, consult your trusted professionals.
Food for health is a concept that we can integrate into our lifestyles that will make a difference in our health and enjoyment of life. It is an important step in taking charge of our own health.
Return From Food for Health to Natural Health Inspector Home